Dochula Pass Festival
Starts from $1349
Festival Date: 13 Dec 2019
Dochula Festival or the Druk Wangyel Tshechu, is a festival that has a significant history. It is a unique festival and is performed by the Royal Bhutan Army rather than the monks. It was commissioned by the Queen Mother Ashi Dorji Wangmo Wangchuck in 2011. The festival will start at 0900 and ends at 1615. This package includes:
- Minimum of 3 star rated accommodation
- All meals (excluding alcoholic beverages)
- All internal transportation (excluding domestic flights if any)
- Professional guide and driver
- All road permits and entry fees
- Government fee, royalty and surcharges
- All services and assistance before, during and after the trip
The detailed itinerary is listed on a day wise manner as shown below:
Day 1&2: Paro to Thimphu – Halt in Thimphu
- Arrival at Paro International Airport: You will be greeted by one of our guides as you exit the Airport and will drive you to Thimphu which is about an hour drive through the mystical mountains.
- Motithang Takin Preserve: Takin is the national animal of Bhutan. It is a very unique animal which is found only in the Eastern Himalayas. Local people believe that Takin was created after fusing a goat and a sheep after a magical stunt by a great Buddhist Saint.
- Buddha View Point: Buddha Dordenma statue sits at 169 feet tall and this bronze statue can be seen from just about anywhere in Thimphu. One of the largest statues in the world depicting a seated Buddha, it is the perfect place to enjoy stunning and beautiful panoramic views of the city.
- National Memorial Chorten: A national memorial monument built in honor of the late Third King of Bhutan, King Jigme Dorji Wangchuk.
- Thimphu Tashichho Dzong: the magnificent fortress of Thimphu which back in the days was used as the center for administrative and monastic functions.
- Jungshi Hangmade Paper Factory: you will witness the art of traditional paper making.
- Simtokha Dzong: this is the oldest fortress of Bhutan and it is believed to have been built to imprison a demon that was terrorizing the locality.
- Craft Bazaar: This is a place for you to see the different handicrafts and souvenirs of Bhutan.
Day 3&4: Thimphu to Punakha – Halt at Punakha
- Dochula Pass Festival: Incredible 360 degrees view of the Himalayas can be seen from the Dochula Pass. It is also where the 108 Druk Wangyel Chortens are located. The whole day will be spent at Dochula Pass witnessing the Festival and then proceed towards Punakha
- Punakha Dzong: This fortress of Punakha sits in between two rivers and was the ancient second capital of Bhutan. Punakha Dzong is a significant monument in the history of Bhutan.
- Khamsum Yulley Namgyal Chorten: An exemplary monastery depicting the art and architecture of Bhutan took nine years to build.
Day 5&6: Punakha to Paro – Halt at Paro
- Paro Rinpung Dzong & National Museum: The fortress located on a hilltop oversees the Paro valley. Ta Dzong is also located just above the Rinpung Dzong and it is now the National Museum of Bhutan.
- Taktsang Monastery: Taktsang of the Tigress’s Nest is a world-famous monastery which is only accessible by foot. It is precariously built on a sharp cliff and it is about 2-3 hours hike from the base.
- Drugyal Dzong: Built in 1647, Drugyal Dzong is located in the northern part of Paro and holds historic significance as it was built to celebrate the victory of invading the Tibetan armies.
- Chelela Pass: This pass is the highest road pass in Bhutan at 3988 m above the sea level and divides Haa and Paro Valley. On a clear day, the great Mt Jomolhari can be seen.
Day 8: Depart from Paro
- Fond Farewell: Our guide and ground staff will bid farewell to you and see you off from the Paro International Airport. We at Yeesel Expedition guarantees you take beautiful memories and pictures that will last a life time. For boundless enchantments and fascinations, we look forward to seeing you again in the land of the Thunder Dragon. Tashi Delek!
Minimum of 3 star rated accommodation
All meals (excluding alcoholic beverages)
All internal transportation (excluding domestic flights if any)
Professional English-Speaking guide and driver
All road permits and entry fees
Government fee, royalty and surcharges
All services and assistance before, during and after the trip